Skip to main content

Making Decisions

Today I spent time finessing the displays in all the glass display cases for the Freeman exhibit and then writing text for labels that will go in a few of them. The display cases in the front will hold some of the "big ticket" items related to Freeman's relationship with Harold Washington. Most notably, the framed picture of Freeman and Washington at the swearing in of the Harold as mayor and relevant paperwork/correspondence. For the display case further into the archive that has early to mid-career Freeman ephemera, I wrote text that gives an overview in terms of timeline and accomplishments at different points in Freeman's life, but I also wrote text for labels for items that if you were looking at a thing and didn't know what it was, the label would tell you. Obviously not everything in the case requires labelling -- if you look at a newspaper and read the headline it's pretty obvious what it is and what you should be getting out of it. The next display case has Freeman's Illinois Supreme Court-related campaign materials and related objects. I'm making fewer labels for that case because it's pretty obvious what that stuff is; although he had a rich career before he was serving on that court, the Illinois Supreme Court is what he is mostly know for (in addition to his relationship with Harold Washington). Less explanation is necessary over there. Kheir and I talked about the flow of the exhibit and how people would encounter it, which meant rearranging angles of a few items. We also talked about that things could be in rough order and that it doesn't have to be exact in terms of the timeline. Aesthetics were the bigger concern which actually freed me up to play with it more. I appreciated this. It made it easier to finesse that display.

Earlier in the day we talked about the deed of gift versus tenure of things in the collection and how that differed depending on the item, as well as the importance of how considering those technicalities can affect the future of the collection. This is important to think about with things in an archive because there could be changes to the institution like staffing and so forth, and if things need to be returned there may need to be arrangement put into place, etc.

I also got a glimpse of the brochure that the design team put together for the exhibit (and to explain more about the Freeman collection in general in the archive). It was interesting to see how they laid out the photos and text we had worked on. The brochure is still in a draft stage but it is gratifying to see it all coming together. Later another member of the library staff came in and we showed her the display, which gave us a low-key dry run of how we would talk about not only the exhibit but also the Freeman collection in general.

exhibit in progress!

--

Today's standards fulfilled as per the Society of American Archivists Curriculum:

Society of American Archivists Curriculum: A. CORE ARCHIVAL KNOWLEDGE, 1. Knowledge of Archival Material and Functions, b) Appraisal for Selection and Acquisition, g. Management and Administration (p. 5)

A. CORE ARCHIVAL KNOWLEDGE, 2. Knowledge of the Profession, c) Professional Ethics and Values (p. 7)

A. CORE ARCHIVAL KNOWLEDGE, 3. Contextual knowledge, a) Social and Cultural Context, d) Underserved & Underrepresented Communities (pp. 7-8) 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Ending

  Some folks from my workshop showing off their zines! The first day of my practicum in January was a blizzard and my last day today it's 80 degrees. I couldn't have asked for a sunnier mood to conclude my practicum experience. I led a zine workshop in the room next to the archive. I talked about what zines are (self-published or independently published periodicals), their legacy, and my history with them (as a publisher, distributor and former bookstore manager that sold them). And because it was Library Week, we talked about zines in libraries and archives. Then we jumped in! I led everybody into a writing exercise, and I also showed how to fold and cut a piece of paper into 8 pages. Then everybody transferred their content to their zines, and we shared them. People made great stuff as they always do when I do this workshop. It's so fun to see people going from knowing very little about an art form and then straight into being makers. The power of accessible DIY! Then we ...

The Sleuthing Pays Off

Kheir greeted me today with a nice surprise -- 9 or so boxes of material pertaining to the Brown v. Board of Ed 50th Anniversary Commission files, all of which are housed at CSU! I didn't even know there was an entire collection that was specifically about the anniversary (the anniversary being in 2004, when CSU held the reenactment with Charles Freeman playing the role of the judge in the case). So I spent a large part of the day scouring those files to find anything with his name on it to prove a CSU connection, which would be a great addition to the Justice Freeman exhibit. Boy am I glad Kheir had previously told me to scour T he Chicago Defender back issue archive a few weeks back (accessed through CPL) to see if there was anything written about Freeman and CSU. And to think that CSU had the whole collection about that anniversary commission (and that there even was a commission)! In those files I found a physical copy of that Defender article that featured a picture of Just...

Notes and Plans!

Today is one of my last days in the archive, because the semester is ending soon! Today Kheir and I talked about the evaluation letter he has to write, as well as what the next couple weeks will look like for me. Next week I'll be doing the zine workshop as part of Library Week at the archive (info about that here) , and then the week after that Kheir will be out of town. So for all practical purposes, this is my last day to actually actively work on things in the archive, and specifically with the Lerone Bennett Jr. collection I was working on. So what I did was organize all my notes to pass them along to Kheir to help with fleshing out descriptions with the finding aid. He mentioned that it would be helpful to have more description about what the archive holds, so I rewrote the pre-existing bio and added some of the highlights of the things I found. That way there's some good selling points to entice people to come look at the archive. I guess I'm kind of proud of what I ...